When you decide to homeschool your children you will soon discover the need for finding great materials that are budget friendly! When my husband and I decided to homeschool our children we first bought curriculums. Which worked wonders for us……in the beginning. We soon found ourselves buying more and more extra materials that did not come in our curriculum packages, or the need to supplement the set curriculum with more modern fun materials.
Last year we decided to use our backgrounds, knowledge, and state requirements to create our own curriculum. Now, listen, that is not going to work for many families, and I still have my top 2 curriculums that I recommend to people all the time. (Abeka, My Father’s World)
When we decided to create the curriculum for our boys, we searched for budget friendly online materials that would aide us in our lesson planning and activities. I was creating my boys’ vocabulary worksheets yesterday and decided I just had to share with you all my go-to websites I use weekly for our homeschool. Below you'll find my Top 3 websites. After you check them out, let me know which one you’ve found to be most helpful. Happy Homeschooling!
This website has it all! Lesson plans, worksheets, and even online games for your child/children. I love that the site is so user friendly and has so many worksheets already created for you to choose from. You can simply put in the subject and your child’s grade and there pops up 100s of worksheets to choose from. You can also use the search bar to search for a specific lesson. I really enjoy their Worksheet Generator. You can create crosswords, word searches, and word scrambles, just by typing in the words, and the generator will do the rest! My kids love the online games on the site as well. Many things are offered for free, or you can choose to get a premium account, which you know if I have it, it is a good price! Ha! Mama don’t pay high prices for anything!
I have used Canva for many years. It is an excellent website for anyone needing to make graphics for various projects. Recently, Canva has provided a wider variety of lesson plan and worksheet templates. I use Canva the most, to create fun colorful worksheets and graphics for our boys. The options are pretty much limitless and if you’re concerned you don’t have a background in graphic design, no worries, there is plenty of help and prompts provided on the site to walk you through!
TEACHERS PAY TEACHERS
I found this site through a YouTube Mom who is a teacher and homeschooler. I am so glad I learned about this site. It is full of worksheets, activities, crafts, digital, and print items for students of all ages. The best part is, the materials are created by teachers! Just think, you get to find awesome school materials, and support other teachers in the process. The prices are also so low and affordable. My favorite purchase from the site was, Pokemon Multiplication Flash Cards!
One of the many reasons we decided to homeschool our children, was the ability to teach them not only the Word of God along with their school lessons, but to teach them about their history. I can recall so many times growing up a teacher would teach us about a few Black Men and Women in history during February, and then the rest of the time we would be tested on the other American Leaders, and World History Leaders. There would be so much emphasis on the other leaders, it was as if they were telling us: You have to know about these people, the Black History is just extra information.
Many people do not realize Black History is American History, and World History. Black Inventors, Leaders, Scientists, Doctors, Musicians, Artists, Authors, and simply Black People, have helped shape innumerable nations and cultures. I appreciate the teachers I had growing up who would challenge the class to learn about Black World Changers that weren’t the same 4 included in their curriculum to teach. You know how every Black History month, people try to get with it, but can only name 4 Black History Leaders, and can tell you the same watered down version of the story! LOL… I am so grateful for the teachers that told us we were more than slaves and our history began far before slavery in America. I am grateful for the teacher that stood up for me when a student tried to claim Black People did not serve a significant role in American history.
Growing up, I always loved history and learning about culture. My favorite way to learn is by hearing stories told by people who lived during the time period. I’ve heard from men and women who were the 1st Black in different career positions. I’ve heard the stories from men and women who remember what it was like to be the 1st Black in a neighborhood or school. I recall listening to my Uncle every year speak the, “I Have a Dream” speech, at a center in front of a crowd, that would always cause the grown ups to tear up. I even remember being a little girl getting to sit at the feet of Rosa Parks, and hearing her tell her story, from her point of view.
I now realize my review has turned into a full on story time!
That trip down memory lane leads me to tell you all about these two great books that will help you open the door to teaching your children about their history. No matter your skin color, all children benefit from learning Black History, because much of all our lives, is a direct benefit from an invention, idea, or influence of a Black person.
Have You Thanked an Inventor Today, by Patrice McLaurin, takes kids on a journey through their day, showing how items we use and see everyday were invented by a Black man or woman.
Little Legends, Exceptional Men in Black History, by Vashti Harrison, does a great job telling children about Black men who helped change our ways, or ways of thinking! Harrison also has a book in the series on Bold Black Women.
Both books are so well illustrated and keep your child’s attention, which has helped my children remember our great history!
Be sure to come back and comment after you’ve purchased, and share about these great books with your friends, family, and followers! Also feel free to read these books all year long 😏
Hello everyone. Are your hairs grey? Have you pulled a few strands out? Did you develop a twitch trying to teach and entertain your kids? I got you covered! I wanted to share with you our top 5 go to Apps for Homeschool and Education. Our kids love playing these Apps and will play them without being prompted! Which you know says a lot about an educational program; when they don’t even realize they’re learning and they are just having fun! I love to incorporate technology in our kids learning. I know some parents aren’t for tablet use, but there are many applications out there that can be useful tools to better your child’s education and help them improve on many skills. So let’s get into the list…
5. Originator Endless Learning-The apps from this company have been a favorite of ours for years. It was actually one of the first educational apps I dowloaded for my eldest when he was around 1 years old. Seeing his little face light up playing and learning was such a joy. Through the years the company has continued to make great apps that build on previous learning with each new level. The apps help with phonics, reading, spelling, counting, arithmetic, and now Spanish! It offers so much I can’t even list! All my boys enjoy this app. I like how in each lesson it keeps building and building with repetition in a creative way. For example, they will first spell a word, and then see the word used in a short story. They also do this for math and numbers. I just saw the company has a new app that I will be downloading, because I already like all the others. I purchased years ago with an app bundle, and I believe you can still do that. You can download apps individually as well.
Endless Learning Academy is available on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV! Yes, Apple TV!
4. Montessori Preschool-Ok all you Montessori lovers! I’ve used this app for quite some time. It is simply bomb! I love the games and interactive play on here. Kids are truly able to learn on their own. I remember when my eldest first started using the coding game. I was shook! He just started putting in the right directions and knocking levels out, I was one happy mama. I also love that this app offers learning for different levels. My 2 year old can even enjoy this app on his level. The app encourages kids to explore and reach new levels on games. They even have cool games that teach children how to clean, garden, and even more. This app also has music. Your child wants to be the cool kid who learns a new language? Yep, they have that too. Another great thing about this app is, it is such a low price. That makes it easily accessible for many parents who already have fifty-eleven subscription services! They are currently offering a 7 day free trial and 30% off the annual pay plan. The company Edoki Academy offers multiple Apps if you find a specific subject your kid likes the most.
Montessori Preschool can be used on Phones, Tablets, or Computers.
3. Education & Brainzy-I found this company one day searching for homeschool ideas. I was looking for online tools that could be used in curriculum making. I am so happy with this purchase. The website is full of ideas and printables! The website also comes with the program Brainzy, that you can download on your devices. This company is absolutely amazing. They offer games and worksheets for all subjects. I was drawn to this company, because of the ability to put together packets, worksheets, and your own lesson plans through their material. I was like, thank you Lord! You provide! The boys enjoy the Brainzy games and they have improved on their ability to follow instructions, focus, and accept challenges. The website is now offering their premium content for free to help out parents and kids during this time. They also always offer great discounts once you sign up for the emails. I believe the program was about 60% off when we purchased the one time fee.
Education and the App Brainzy can be used on Phones, Tablets, or Computers.
2. ABC Mouse-Ok I must admit I am surprised I am putting this on here. I have tried ABC Mouse multiple times, but I would always end up deleting it. The program seemed to be from the 90s and I just wanted more bang. Well, well, well, they have totally upgraded the app! The new videos and games are so well thought out and graphically well done. The app gives kids tickets after they complete certain tasks, and my boys love seeing how many tickets they have. My middle son loves to buy things with his tickets! The app is full of so much for the child to explore on their own. When using it for their daily schooling I have the kids complete their individual, personalized learning path. I’ve shown the boys how to print the pictures they color, and I love when I’m working and a new colored picture starts printing next to me. This program has really stepped their game up and always has a sale or promotion going on. The annual plan is %49 off right now! You can also try 30 days for free. Full of books, games, videos, and great interactive play.
Available on Phone, Tablet, or Computer.
1. Osmo-This is our latest purchase and we are so happy with it. The kids will try and play with it for hours! We purchased the Explorer kit and a case. They are currently offering 10%-%20 off certain products. The program is completely interactive and offers so many kits to capture different subjects and interest your kids may have. The explorer kit teaches language arts, math, art, coding, and more! I legit would be a spokesperson for this company, ha! My favorite thing about this product is how we all gather around the table and enjoy the games. I have to ask can Mommy have a turn, and when they let me lol, its awesome! Osmo also sends emails so you are aware of how your child is doing in certain subjects and how much time they’ve spent on the app. You’ll also see any artwork they have created!
Osmo works with iPads and Fire Tablets.
Listen, these apps offer so much that I did not even include. They each are well worth the investment. I hope you’ll give one or let’s face it, all a try! These applications also help you to see how your child learns best and what subject they enjoy, and what subject challenges them the most. Be sure to let me know how life goes after the purchase or free trial! Stay strong! You got this Mom and Dad!